© 2013. Sol del Valle Community Center 10725 Penrose St. Sun Valley, CA 91352 818.767.1650 818.767.1672
Foundation of the Community Center
On November 6, 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed the Immigration Reform and Control act, which prohibited the hiring of undocumented immigrants. But, the act also provided a pathway for seasonal workers to earn legal status. A local pastor by the name of Lou Wagenveld viewed this legislation as an opportunity to serve the immigrant community by providing classes and counseling to assist them in becoming legal citizens. As a result of this effort, the Sol del Valle Community Center was established in 1987 as an outreach of Bethel Christian Reformed Church. In 1996, Sol del Valle Community Center radically expanded its program to be more proactive and preventative by focusing on educational, recreational, and leadership development.
Sol del Valle Community Center Today
Today Sol del Valle Community Center offers a wide variety of programs for both children and adults. Some of the children’s programing include an afterschool program, individual tutoring, summer camps, as well as a music academy that offers voice, drums, guitar, and piano lessons. Some programs offered for adults include ESL and Spanish classes, citizenship and computer classes, as well as parenting and employment workshops.
All of the programs offered by Sol del Valle Community Center are either free, or provided at a fraction of the cost of similar programs found elsewhere in the San Fernando Valley. This is because the Board of Directors is committed to serving as many low-income families and at-risk students as they possibly can. It is the hope and prayer of the board, staff, and volunteers that through our programing, children are equipped to succeed as students, and adults are equipped to succeed as parents, employees, and active citizens. Sol del Valle Community Center (SDVCC) is a non-profit organization that offers educational and recreational programs to the families of Sun Valley and surrounding communities. Since 1987 our organization has been working cooperatively with the Christian Reformed churches of the area.